1. Place the chicken breast-side down, with the legs toward you. Remove the paddles at the first joint of the wings. Starting at the tail end, cut along both sides of backbone and through the rib bones with kitchen shears. Remove backbone. Pull the chicken open and flatten it out.
2. Slice through the small piece of cartilage sticking up close to the wishbone. Pull the chicken open to expose the triangular cartilage between the breast. Cut out the rib bones. Turn the chicken over with the breast side up. Flatten the breast out with the heel of your hand so the meat is all one thickness.
3. Stack the spatchcocked chickens 2 high in 4″ stainless steel hotel pans. Drizzle ½ c. of marinade per chicken over the top of the chickens. Rub the marinade into the chickens. Turn periodically the first four hours. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place the flour in a 4″ full stainless steel hotel pan. Dredge both sides of the chicken in the flour. Shake off excess flour. Place 2 oz. of canola oil in a heated, nonstick sauté pan. Place the chicken in the pan, skin-side down. Cook on both sides until golden-brown. Place in a heated 350°F oven. Cook up to 15 minutes or until just cook through.
2. Place 2 oz. of spring mix and 1 oz. each of arugula, scored cucumbers, radishes and carrots in a chilled stainless steel mixing bowl. Drizzle 1½ oz. of blood orange vinaigrette over the salad mixture. Toss until mixed. Place on a chilled serving plate. Place the chicken on top of the salad skin side up.
Search Our Site…