1. Wash the white lentils under cold water in a fine mesh strainer until the water turns clear. Drain and reserve.
2. In a storage container, combine lentils with 1 qt. of water and allow the lentils to soak for 6 hours at room temperature.
3. Drain the lentils into a mesh strainer and rinse with cold water to remove starchy residue.
4. In a vitamix blender or equivalent, add the lentil mixture and pulse to purée.
5. Turn the blender to high and gradually add a stream of cold water until a very smooth and thick batter forms. It requires about 10 oz. of water, and it’s good to add the water gradually to create a thick lentil purée.
6. Scrape down the sides of the blender to fully purée and eliminate lumps.
7. In a large stainless steel bowl, whisk together the lentil purée and the sifted rice flour until it is fully incorporated. Add 14 oz. of water and whisk until smooth.
8. Pour the batter into a glass mixing bowl or a large nonreactive storage container. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight. Make sure the container is at least twice the volume of the batter as it will expand during fermentation.
9. The fermentation is complete when the batter has thickened and developed noticeable air bubbles. Depending on conditions, the process may require two days.
10. Once fermented, refrigerate the batter in a clear, covered storage container for service. Make sure there is room in the container for further expansion.
Search Our Site…