1. Prepare “Forbidden Black Rice” by bringing the water and rice to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes and the water has been absorbed.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Allow to cool on a half sheet pan under refrigeration.
5. Place in a storage container and refrigerate until needed.
6. Add 4 oz. of the prepared rice to a heavy-bottomed sauce pot and simmer with 16 oz. of water over medium heat until the rice is completely broken down.
7. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
8. Place the puree on a half-size silicone mat lined inside a half-size sheet tray and spread with an offset spatula until thin but uniform.
9. Place in a 125°F oven or dehydrator for 2 hours, turning the tray halfway through.
10. As the puree dries out, the outsides of the tray tend to dry faster. Cut the drier edges with kitchen shears in abstract shapes until the completely dried.
11. Fry at 375°F for 30 to 60 seconds, holding the chips submerged in an open fryer until it doubles or triples in size.
12. Remove from the fryer and place on a sheet tray and season as desired.
Search Our Site…