1. Mix together 2 oz. of sugar with the pectin and reserve in a stainless steel bowl.
2. Fire-roast the red peppers (about 4 peppers) to char the outside skin.
3. Once charred, place in a stainless steel bowl and cover with film to cool (about ½ hour).
4. Pour the juice from the peppers into a bowl. Strain reserved liquid to remove any particles. Add water, if needed, to equal 4 oz.
5. Wearing gloves, scrape the charred skin off the peppers. Remove and discard the tops, seeds and pith.
6. Place 10 oz. of roasted red peppers into a blender and purée until smooth.
7. Dice the remaining 10 oz. of roasted red peppers.
8. In a heavy sauce pot, add vinegar, 24 oz. of sugar, butter, salt, reserved pepper juice, pepper purée and diced red peppers.
9. Boil for 5 minutes.
10. Whisk in the remaining sugar and pectin mixture and boil for 2 more minutes.
11. Place the jam in a nonreactive glass container. Label, date and refrigerate until needed.
Search Our Site…