1. Place 8-10 bay leaves and the octopus in a pot of salted, boiling water. Reduce to a simmer. Place a weight on top of the octopus so it will stay immersed while cooking. Cook 1-2 hours. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the octopus.
2. Scoop the octopus from the poaching liquid. Place in a colander and allow to drain. Slice on the bias into 2-3” pieces. Place in a covered storage container, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
3. Place the potatoes in a pot of salted, boiling water. Simmer until they can be pierced with a fork. Drain. Cool under cold water. Drain. Slice the potatoes widthwise into ⅛” thick circles. Place in a covered storage container, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 4 oz. each of octopus, potatoes and tomatoes in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Drizzle 1 oz. of olive oil over the mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place the octopus mixture and potatoes in a heated char grill or broiler until just warmed through. Place the tomatoes on the grill and cook until just warmed through.
2. Place 1 oz. each of the chardonnay wine and butter and 1 Tbsp. of capers in a warmed, nonstick sauté pan. Bring to a boil. Immediately add 1 tsp. of chopped parsley and swirl pan.
3. Place the potatoes and tomatoes in the center of a warmed serving plate. Place the octopus on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the caper butter over the octopus.
Search Our Site…