1. Trim the eggplant by removing the ends and discarding them.
2. Split the eggplant in half lengthwise and then into 4” long pieces. If you are using the larger Italian purple eggplant, you will need to cut the eggplant into fourths lengthwise, and you will need to score the eggplants, making cross hatches in the flesh to ensure the salt penetrates.
3. Weigh the eggplant half planks in stainless steel bowl, taring the weight of the stainless steel bowl first.
4. Add kosher salt equal to 1% of the eggplant’s weight. Toss the eggplant and salt, ensuring the salt is evenly distributed.
5. Brush ½ oz. of lime juice for every ½lb. of eggplant directly to the flesh side to prevent discoloration.
6. Leave the stainless steel bowl out at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the salt to draw out some of the eggplant’s moisture and bitterness.
7. Blot dry the eggplant planks with paper towel and reserve.
8. Do this process up to two days in advance and reserve the eggplants for service, cut side down, on a roasting rack or perforated pan inserted inside an additional hotel pan or sheet tray. Cover the pan with film wrap.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Preheat the char-grill to high
2. Brush the surface area of three eggplant planks with the oil blend and season the cut side with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the eggplant planks, cut side down, for about 2 minutes, making cross-hatches by turning the eggplant as it grills. For best results, place a grill weight on the eggplant during this process.
4. Flip the eggplant over to the skin side and grill it for an additional 30 seconds with the grill weight on top.
5. Remove from the grill and place on a quarter-size sheet tray lined with a roasting rack insert.
6. To plate, place the eggplant planks down, cut-side up, parallel to each other.
7. Spoon or ladle the warmed achari curry sauce over the eggplant and around the plate.
8. With the turmeric yogurt sauce in a squeeze bottle, place desired size dots on the eggplant and around the plate.
9. Garnish the eggplant with coarse ground pistachios and cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
Search Our Site…