1. Place the yolks in a stainless steel mixing bowl that will fit on top of a double boiler.
2. Place the cream, milk and sugar in a nonstick saucepan. Heat until bubbles just begin to form at the edges of the pan. Slowly ladle the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking continuously. This will help warm and temper the egg mixture before cooking.
3. Place the egg yolk mixture over a simmering double boiler pot of water. Do not allow the water in the double boiler to get too hot or the eggs will scramble. Scrape the sides of the stainless steel bowl with a rubber spatula to keep it as clean as possible while cooking to prevent clumps.
4. Continue to cook, stirring continuously, keeping the sides of the bowl clean with a rubber spatula. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil the egg and cream mixture, as this will cause the mixture to break. Add the vanilla extract.
5. Place the bowl in an ice water bath until chilled. Stir frequently while cooling. Transfer to a covered storage container, Label, date and refrigerate until needed.
Search Our Site…