1. Preheat char-grill to high.
2. Slice the apples into ½” rounds. Brush both sides with the oil blend.
3. Char the apples until blackened on each side. Remove and reserve.
4. In a rondeau with a fitted lid, add the apple cider, brown sugar and 5 spice blend.
5. Add the charred apples and stir to incorporate. Cover with the lid.
6. Place in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until the apples have come together and the sauce has reduced.
7. Purée in a blender with the ponzu sauce until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Pass through a chinois and reserve in half-size sheet pan under refrigeration until cool.
9. Transfer to a covered storage container, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive container and mix well. Steep in the refrigerator overnight or up to a week.
2. After steeping, drain over a sieve to get rid of the kombu.
3. Transfer to a covered storage container, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
Search Our Site…